First Source Hiring Program
What is First Source?
The First Source Hiring Program was created to connect dislocated workers and economically disadvantaged individuals with entry level jobs. These jobs are generated by the City and County of San Francisco's investments. It was enacted into law (Chapter 83 of the City’s Administrative Code) in 1998, and the ordinance was last modified in April 2006. These jobs are generated by the City and County of San Francisco's investments, including:
- Any activity that requires discretionary action by the City’s Planning Commission related to a commercial activity over 25,000 square feet including, but not limited to conditional use, project authorization under San Francisco Planning Code Section 309 and office development under Planning Code Section 320, et sec.
- Any building permits applications for a residential project over 10 units.
- City issued public construction contracts in excess of $350,000.
- City contracts for goods and services in excess of $50,000.
- Leases of City property.
- Grants and loans issued by City departments in excess of $50,000.
How Does First Source Work?
- For businesses or non-profits who receive a non-construction or professional services contract from a City Department over $50,000, those successful bidders are required to project the number of entry-level job openings they expect during the contract period and forward that information to First Source.
- For City issued construction contracts in excess of $350,000, or for private developments that fall within the scope of the Chapter 83 requirements, CityBuild is the operational arm of First Source in working with construction contractors to hire local residents for apprentice positions.
- Entry-level jobs are defined as those non-managerial position that require either no education above a high school diploma (or equivalency) OR no more than 2 years of specific training or work experience.
- Successful bidders are required to post their entry-level openings with First Source and offer the City the first opportunity to refer qualified candidates to those positions.
- While the ordinance does not require an employer to hire a specific candidate, it does require that employers make a good faith effort to hire referrals from the City’s workforce development system.
First Source Employers
For construction and related services, please contact us at (415) 701-4848 and ask to speak with one of our CityBuild Compliance Officers.
For non-construction services, please contact us at (415) 701-4848 and ask to speak with one of our Business Services Specialists.
The forms listed below are not all inclusive and may differ slightly depending on specific contracts, leases, and/or other San Francisco related business investments.
First Source Hiring Program – Non-Construction Positions
First Source Fact Sheet 2017.pdf
Employer Projection of Entry Level Positions 2015.pdf
Employment Verification Form (Revised 4.2014)
First Source Hiring Program – Construction Positions
First Source Hiring Fact Sheet - Publicly Funded Construction (Revised 10. 2013) (PDF)
First Source Hiring Fact Sheet - Privately Funded Construction (Revised 9. 2013) (PDF)
CityBuild First Source Form 1 - Workforce Projections (Revised 7. 2013) (DOC)