What does this Program Offer?
- Grants for storefront and interior improvements
- ADA compliance
- Maintenance and repair
- Design services
- Visual identity and branding
- ADA accessibility consulting
- Interior design
- Project management
Who is eligible?
- Businesses and non-profits on an Invest in Neighborhoods corridor
- Must have a minimum 3 years left on lease
- Must have property owner consent
- Must be willing to undergo a business assessment
- Financial contributions by business and property owners are encouraged
Background Information about the Program
In an effort to improve the City’s business corridors, OEWD provides grants, design assistance and project management though the SF Shines program to improve storefront façades and business interiors. The SF Shines Program is an economic development service of the Invest In Neighborhoods initiative that provides focused, customized assistance to help small businesses thrive, increase quality of life, improve physical conditions, and build community capacity.
The SF Shines program is intended to assist with expenses for ground floor storefront façade upgrades and/or interiors. Grant funds may cover the cost of non-structural building improvements including removal of security grilles and roll ups, painting, rehabilitation of historic façades, replacement of storefront windows and doors, new signage, awnings, interior space upgrades and ADA improvements. SF Shines applications will be reviewed per the Program Standards. Project grants are reimbursed to the applicant once construction is completed.
How does this program benefit my business and my neighborhood?
- Attracts and retains small businesses
- Increases visibility and improves business identity
- Encourages investment in the neighborhood
- Improves the pedestrian experience and increases neighborhood safety
- Removes barriers to accessibility
- Helps businesses become compliant with local codes
How to get started
- Email SFShines@sfgov.org for an application or call (415) 554-4720