5M will be a mixed-use development that includes 688 units of housing, 600,000 square feet of commercial space, including office and neighborhood serving retail as well as over an acre of public open space and a dedicated 12,000 square feet of non-profit arts space on site. The focus is on a project that connects with the local community and builds on the vibrancy of the neighborhood through activated open spaces, streets, and alleyways.
The project sponsor, Forest City, received approval from the Board of Supervisors in December 2015, which included providing 241 units of new affordable housing, and over $65million dollars in fees and benefits which will be directed back into the surrounding community for schools, parks, workforce development, the Old Mint, and senior housing.
- 40% affordable housing
- 600,000+ square feet of office space
- 241 affordable housing units
- 600 residential housing units
- 50,000 square feet of new public open space
- 12,000 square feet of office space dedicated to arts, cultural and educational uses
- Developer: Forest City
- Location: 5th, Mission, and Howard
- Proposed Site Uses: Office, retail, arts, residential and public open space
- Completion Date: Approvals scheduled for November 2015
- Project Status: Design Phase
- Location: Four acres between 5th, Mission, and Howard Streets
- Funding Source(s): Forest City
- Project Features:
- A variety of building types providing flexible spaces to a diversity of users.
- Dynamic streets promoting movement between indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Additional Resource(s): www.5mproject.com