The Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD) advances equitable and shared prosperity for San Franciscans by growing sustainable jobs, supporting businesses of all sizes, creating great places to live and work, and helping everyone achieve economic self-sufficiency.
OEWD’s programs are responsible for strengthening San Francisco’s many diverse neighborhoods and commercial corridors, creating a business climate where companies can grow and prosper, and ensuring a continually high quality of life for all San Franciscans.
By providing one point of contact for a variety of essential City programs and services, OEWD’s goal is to ensure that San Francisco will always be what it is today: one of the best places on the planet to live, work, and play.
- Business Attraction and Retention: Attracting and retaining businesses, with an emphasis on key industry clusters.
- Small Business Assistance: One-stop resource center providing information and resources for start-ups and expanding small businesses.
- Workforce Development: Overall strategic coordination for the City’s workforce system, including implementing job training programs aimed at providing residents (particularly those with multiple barriers to employment) with access to today’s jobs.
- Joint Development: Managing major public-private development projects to maximize long-term public benefits, including affordable housing, jobs and economic development, and open space.
- Neighborhood Development: Facilitating the revitalization of commercial corridors in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods and creating Community Benefit Districts (CBD) throughout the City.
- Filming and Production: Promoting San Francisco as a film destination to filmmakers and spurring additional City revenue and jobs by attracting and facilitating film productions.
- International Trade and Commerce: Increasing international business opportunities in the City, fostering San Francisco’s award-winning Sister City program and attracting and expanding international airlines in partnership with San Francisco International Airport.
Kate Sofis is the Director of OEWD.
She is an internationally-regarded leader in equitable urban economic development. Her experience integrates a uniquely diverse background in entrepreneurship and innovation, manufacturing, creative, and technology industry expertise, workforce development, real estate development, and local and regional economic development strategy. Kate was the co-founder and CEO of SFMade, a public-private initiative that has helped catalyze a resurgence in local manufacturing and diverse employment in San Francisco. She also recently served as a member of San Francisco’s COVID-19 Economic Recovery Task Force.