Moscone Expansion District
The Moscone Expansion District (MED) was established in 2013 with the execution and delivery of Certificates of Participation. The MED focuses on capital improvements to the Moscone Convention Center in order to attract more and larger conventions. The District is managed by the San Francisco Tourism Improvement District Management Corporation.
Services may include but are not limited to:
• Marketing & promotion
• San Francisco Convention and Visitor’s Bureau programs
• Moscone Convention Center capital improvements
The Tourism Improvement District is a business-based hotel assessment district, representing hotels throughout the City of San Francisco.
Pursuant to California Streets and Highways Code, Section 36650, each Community Benefit District and Business Improvement District must provide an annual report after their first year of operation. Annual reports and financial statements are submitted to OEWD for review. OEWD reviews these documents and determines whether or not the CBD met four benchmarks:
1) Whether the variance between the budget of that fiscal year or calendar year was within 10 percentage points of their management plan budget by service category
2) Whether the CBD or BID, if required, met its respective general benefit obligation
3) Whether the variance between the fiscal year or calendar year budget was within 10 percentage points of their actual spending for the same time period
4) Whether the CBD or BID indicated the amount of funds carried forward from the previous fiscal year or calendar year into the next
The report is heard before the Government Audit and Oversight committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors where OEWD presents on its findings and the CBD or BID presents on its accomplishments and metrics for the reporting period
The latest annual report approved by the Board of Supervisors for Moscone Expansion District is for FY 2018-2019 and pertinent information can be found here.