The Office of Economic and Workforce Development's (OEWD) mission is simple – we support the ongoing economic vitality of San Francisco. OEWD provides city-wide leadership for workforce development, business attraction and retention, neighborhood commercial revitalization, international business and development planning.
OEWD’s programs are responsible for strengthening San Francisco’s many diverse neighborhoods and commercial corridors, creating a business climate where companies can grow and prosper, and ensuring a continually high quality of life for all San Franciscans.
By providing one point of contact for a variety of essential City programs and services, OEWD’s goal is to ensure that San Francisco will always be what it is today: one of the best places on the planet to live, work, and play.
- Business Attraction and Retention: Attracting and retaining businesses, with an emphasis on key industry clusters.
- Small Business Assistance: One-stop resource center providing information and resources for start-ups and expanding small businesses
- Workforce Development: Overall strategic coordination for the City’s workforce system, including implementing job training programs aimed at providing residents (particularly those with multiple barriers to employment) with access to today’s jobs.
- Joint Development: Managing major public-private development projects to maximize long-term public benefits, including affordable housing, jobs and economic development, and open space.
- Neighborhood Development: Facilitating the revitalization of commercial corridors in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods and creating Community Benefit Districts (CBD) throughout the City.
- Filming and Production: Promoting San Francisco as a film destination to filmmakers and spurring additional City revenue and jobs by attracting and facilitating film productions.
- International Trade and Commerce: Increasing international business opportunities in the City, fostering San Francisco’s award-winning Sister City program and attracting and expanding international airlines in partnership with San Francisco International Airport